About FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company
Our Mission, Our Story
- To support the not-for-profit mission of FirstHealth of the Carolinas, which is committed to the community it serves
- To assure effective local medical management of clinical decisions that maintains local physician/provider control over medical decisions
- To improve the level of member, physician/provider and employer understanding of medical management through educational programs and communications
- To manage administrative costs efficiently
- To meet member service standards that place FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company in the top quarter of managed-care organizations in the state
- To develop user-friendly Internet technology applications to improve services to members, employers and physicians/providers.
FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company’s medical management is primary care provider driven with local physician/provider oversight. FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company focuses on wellness and prevention.
Our goal is to pay 70 percent of claims in 14 or fewer days and 100 percent of claims within 30 days. On average, 85% of our claims are processed in 14 or fewer days. Claims information is available locally, as is COBRA administration.
FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company gives the member the freedom to choose his physician/provider each time he needs care for a covered service. The FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company member can see a network primary care provider for a designated copayment, or he can see an out-of-network provider and pay out of pocket with the amount applied toward the deductible.